Snowy Snowy Visby





Weekend escapade to this medieval town of Visby, Götland and this time, we had a new member, 梅木さん! I really liked this old town, just like how I like Cesky Krumlov in Czech Republic! Maybe a lot of people will find that old towns like this are boring but I just can't help but like them.

Visby is truly the hidden gem of Sweden, I bet when people think of travelling to Sweden they will never consider coming here but some interesting facts about Visby from Kentaro:

Visby is the foundation for the setting of this famous Japanese Anime movie, "Kiki's Delivery Service" from Studion Gibbli, Miyazaki Hayao (宮崎駿)!

Back to travel log. After 3 hours long "Destination >> Gotland" ferry, with calm and peace, we arrived in the dark, snowy harbour of Visby. Everywhere was covered with snow and later I was informed that Stockholm was covered in snow too when we left. Oh... I brought away the sunlight from Stockholm! The next day was sunny and weather was so beautiful before it became gloomy again on Sunday.


Visby, surrounded by the old wall.

The street was quiet, weekend and off-peak season from travel. Almost every shop was closed. Now I understand why such scene like this is always associated with Silence.


The colourful houses of Visby.

The town was really a small one if only consider the area surrounded by the town wall. We walked from center to the scenic perimeter and continued towards the beach.


Yeah, Just outside the town wall.


Visby beach in the winter. Nice...


Oh, beautiful roses with some icy touch on it.


Aren't the colours of the houses are so perfect for picture!?

Sun set really early... About 4pm it was all dark and we went back to the hostel after having some delicious but overpriced Crepes before going to the empty space for some SNOWBALL fight!

The following day, which was a Sunday, we were greeted by thick snow and there were more falling from the sky... Not many places we could go because wind was strong. Made me think of Matchstick Girl when we walked in the windy and snowy day.



Oh and luckily the weather was not like Sunday... Snow heavily and we had to stay indoor most of the time!!

What I can say is... I really like Visby...!
Finally not forgetting a group shot:



P/S: This batch of photos I like very much and I posted many of them as Public in flickr!

Even posted on some forums to publicize Visby!
Go2eu
Club Snap

View as slideshow! or just visit my Visby set!

Comments

Popular Posts